July 27, 2009

Thieves Market/ Flea Market?

Its no secret that I love thrift/ vintage shopping around in Hong Kong. But it is SO hard to come by a good one, because new and brand name stuff are just more appealing to the people here... there are lots of fake-vintage shops (s e l e c t 1 8 ? !) that rip you off for fake-one-of-a-kind pieces, and that's why i was SO thrilled when i found this place "King" (I don't even know if that's their actual name, because the sign says "King - electronics and miscellaneous", but since it is what it says on the sign I will just call it that) on Lok Ku Road which is one block north of Upper Lascar Row (aka Cat Street) in Mid Levels Sheung Wan.

King offers real vintage clothing, accessories, shoes, and more! If you are a vintage fan like me, I assure you that you will not be disappointed. See their piles of clothes and boxes of shoes, purse, accessories...one draw back though, it is not actually a store, it is more like a stall on the sidewalk, so be prepared for a steaming hot shopping experience. Also make sure you make a trip to the stores nearby which mostly sell antique furniture and home decorations, lotsssss of hidden gems! Oh, and you know the rule -

haggle.

haggle.
haggle.

slash 50% off from the original price and start from there. You get the idea. Yup, just like what you will do at select 18 or at Chatuchak flea market in Thailand.
.. (Actually, for these two, you start from 70%...)


Some Fun Facts:
Many years ago, the Upper Lascar Row was well known as the place to buy stolen goods. People always say that if you had something lost, it is almost certain that you find it there for sale back. Of course it does not work this way now, but that just adds a little interesting history to it and made it even more attractive.



King - Lok Ku Road
on Lok Ku RoadOn Upper Lascar Row

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, thanks so much for posting this! I've just come from New York and have been asking myself WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT ESTATE SALES AND THRIFT STORES??? Anyway, I'm really glad I've found new adventures through your blog.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I've helped! have fun in HK ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there just a few weeks back! Although I didn't end up buying anything, but it was definitely worth the visit! I love the way they display their items and sometimes, you'll be surprised what you might find in the piles...

    PK Lai

    ReplyDelete